Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Have a Skater?


Do you have a skater in your family?  Have you noticed how expensive those dresses are?  Well, fabrics cheaper and it makes for a lovely dress!  A homemade dress can be cheaper and it can be made exactly the way you want it.  I got the idea to make a dress, because, well, I'm a figure skater!  I had a Christmas recital coming up, and I didn't have a dress!  (By the way, I didn't do great at the recital.)  I didn't feel like going shopping.  I was thinking on how I was going to get a dress on time, when it hit me!  Why not make it yourself?  I went to Joanne's (Yeah, I know.  I went shopping, but it's a CRAFT store!) and started looking for fabric.  My music was Candy Cane Lane, so I wanted to make the dress like a candy cane.  It was around Halloween (Yeah, not that close to Christmas, but it was close enough.) and there was a whole lot of Halloween fabric.  I go over there and I find one with red and white stripes!  It was perfect.  I got some of that (I'm sorry, I'm not sure how much.  Just use an old dress and find out how much fabric was used for it and get extra.)  
Then I found a red leotard, snowflake buttons, a white scarf, and red and white socks.  My outfit was done before I knew it.

Materials:

Scissors
Fabric
An idea
A skating dress
Leotard
Sewing supplies
Iron (Optional)

Directions:

1. Get a leotard the color you want your dress to be.
2. Sketch out your design
3. Using an old skating dress with a nice skirt, trace the skirt on the fabric you want the skirt on.  (Make sure the fabric you use is stretchy.)
4.  Cut the hole in the middle where you will go in.
5. Sew a half inch of the bottom of the fabric you just cut out over.
6. Sew the skirt onto the dress.
7. Add any accessories you want on the dress.

When folding half an inch over and then sewing over it.  To keep it flat while sewing, you can iron over it first.

You may want the skirt on top of a skirt like I did and this is how you do it.

Materials:

Stretchy band
Tuil (It's a fabric, not sure if i spelled the name right.) x2.  Preferrably different colors.
Sewing supplies

2nd Skirt:

1. Get a stretchy band.
2. Cut the band to fit your waste a little tight, but not to tight.
3. Cut about 2 in. thick strands out of one color tuil and about elbow length.
4. Using the other color of tuil cut it shorter then the last and only an in. thick.
5. Tie the tuil on, alternating from one color to the next.
6. Sew the skirt onto your other skirt waste, but not totally sewed on.  Just sew it in places.  It will seem loose, but it will tighten when you get in the dress.

When doing the second skirt, you can also do the same size strands with different colors.

If you were confused with these instructions, please tell me where and why.  I will fix it as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment