Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Make your own Harry Potter Wand!


Last month was my birthday and I was dying to have a Harry Potter (I'm obsessed!) birthday party.  I had so many ideas, some of which never even happened at the party.  I had this thought that we would run out of things to do!  Well, we didn't run out of things.  I was working on the goody bags (Chocolate frog card, chocolate frog, Drooble's Best Blowing Gum, the page found in the book Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter glasses, and how to tea stain things card, word search) and I started thinking maybe my guests should have their very own wands!  I went online and found that all wands were about thirty dollars, and I almost died on the spot!  At one point I thought maybe I should make my own wand for free!  I looked it up online and they ALL included a hot glue gun, which of course I didn't have at the moment due to me moving to Colorado recently and most of my supplies sitting in a cupboard being unused when I could have been using them right then! I decided I'd just make my own!  I happened to have my cousin, Allison, over when we started making the wands.  She's the one who came up with this brilliant idea!  So do you have a Harry Potter lover, or are you a Harry Potter lover.  Do you want your own wand, but the prices online are ridiculously crazy online?  Even the used ones are expensive.  No worries I've got your back.  I'm going to tell you how to make your very own wand that you can personalize!

Drying Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours

Harry Potter Homemade Wand:

Crafting Supplies:

Paper
Stick from outside (Straight!)
Hot Glue Gun (Optional)
Hair Dryer (Optional)
Paint 
Bead (Preferably round) 
Paintbrush
Something to cover the surface your painting on
Surface to paint on
A cup to get the paint off your paintbrush
A painting shirt (One that is old or you don't like)
A strong desire to make a wand!

Directions:

1. Get a stick form outside; make sure it's straight!
2. Using you piece of paper, wrap the stick.  Make sure you get the top and the bottom wrapped up!  If you want a cool look put the paper on tight but loose.  Then twist the paper until the paper's all twisty and the paper is tightened.
3. Paint your wand!  I would recommend using colors like black, brown, and white.  
4. You can use the hair dryer to speed up the drying process; if you don't mind the wait you can just, well, wait!  
5. Using the hot glue gun, if you have one, glue the bead on the top of your wand.  If you don't have one, don't fret!  You can just paint over the bead and put a lot of paint around the edges.
6. Let the whole wand dry.  
7. Yay, you made a wand!  If you want to give it more design just add more beads by running your wand through glue and then run them through the beads.

Do you have questions?  Just post a comment.  I'll answer as soon as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Ahem, I ALLISON, YOUR COUSIN THOUGHT OF THIS IDEA!!! Can I have some credit? Please?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, of course. Changes being made! :)

    ReplyDelete